Friday, May 13, 2005

Unrestricted thoughts....

Doesn't that title seem kinda redundant?!?!? I mean, aren't all thoughts technically unrestricted, since whether or not you verbalize them, they occur?!?! Yeah, it's redundant.

Before I begin this post, thanks goes out to the beautiful and inspiring Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez, who did in fact visit my blog and who did comment on my last blog. Despite what she says, she is a celebrity in my eyes.

Either way....let's begin these thoughts....

On my way to work today, I was doing a whole lotta thinking. About the past, about the life I had before I moved up to Virginia, about my friends, about everything I have gone through in the past. It has all had its ups and its downs, but I am the optimistic type, so I always got through any hardship I had, however difficult it might have been. Then one particular scene came to mind and no matter how much I tried to move on and think of other things, I couldn't. I worked at a telemarketing company for about a 4-month span, which included the summer. During that time, I would work 6-days a week, but I had to because the gas money it took just to get to work was ridiculous. I was particularly remembering one Saturday morning. Every Saturday, we would work from 9am - 1pm, which was extremely convenient if you wanted to have a social life on Saturday. Well, one Saturday in particular, I went to work dressed in shorts, a tank top, and sandals. But underneath my clothes, I was wearing a bikini, because at 1 pm, I was gonna head to the beach. And God was it a beautiful day. A gorgeous day. The sun could not have been brighter, the sky could not have been clearer, and my mood could not have been better. It was the "perfect day".

I miss those days. For example, people always tell me, "How could you have moved from MIAMI to Virginia?!?!?!? Are you outta your damn mind?" And my response was always, "I was born and raised in Miami. I needed a change. Something different." And it is true. I did need something different. I also tell people that when I lived in Miami, I never went to the beach as much as people would imagine because work and school took up about 75% of my time. The other 25% of my time was always spent with homework, cleaning, laundary, or any other tedious task. But I was ALWAYS a beach person....just wasn't able to go as often as I wanted to. And why I didn't do that is beyond me. It is completely beyond me.

Here are a few pics to help you understand my pain....
Imagine you were that women. Isn't that a beautiful view? Yeah, I know.

Oh yeah....Ladybug, please don't pick on me or go ballistic on me. I'm just having a "moment" here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Moving up to Virginia was not simply something of locale. Instead, it was for an experience. For the chance to say, "I was born and raised somewhere, and yet I was able to just pick up and move far away and, you know what, I STILL did ok." It was a move to ensure my family and friends that I AM a strong person, a survivor, a fighter, despite whatever they may say or think. It was for the chance to be able to live in another place and yet be able to one day go back to Miami and appreciate it even more. It was actually a move that I think everybody should make at least once during their lifetime.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auspicious1 I can relate to you. My move from the big city of Chicago to Omaha, Nebraska was a major change. The only good thing about it at the time was my family moved as well. I moved in the middle of high school and I left my friends, cousins, and my life behind. Growing up in inner city Chicago was a challenge, exposed to many dangers like gangs, drugs, and violence in general was overwhelming. Now going on four years in Omaha, I have no regrets. I am going to school part time and have a good job. If I was still in Chicago, I'd be behind bars, dead, or getting into trouble. Who says I can't visit Chi-Town anymore??? I still love my teams, the Bulls, Cubs, Bears, and the..I guess...White Sox. I think moves are healthy for us, because they give us better appreciation for what and who we left behind. By the way....Are you single???? ;)

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home