Sunday, May 15, 2005

And so they continue....

Yeah, these unrestricting thoughts better start controlling themselves because I can't take it anymore.

Yesterday I spoke with my mother, who is extremely computer illiterate, so there is no chance in holy hell she could read my blog or anything of the sort. She proceeds to tell me, almost as if sensing my doubts lately, that FIU has this accelerated program where you can take classes for a year and become a nurse. This program was started because of the shortage of nurses in Miami. My mother said when students are taking the program, they are not allowed to work because the program demands so much. She says I should look into it because the scholarship I have will end in a year and perhaps I should see if a similar program is offered up here. I tell her I will, because whenever my mother talks about something, just agree with her so she feels as if she has done some good for the day. I love my mother. She is my star. But I also fail to mention to her that I DON'T want to look up a similar program here. I want to consider a program like that back home. I want to be able to study on the beach on the weekends. I want to be able to go to lunch at that little hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant in Little Havana that serves better food than any chain (i.e., La Carreta, Latin America, etc.) I want to be able to speak in loud Cuban spanish as I walk through the mall and not be thought to be screaming. Blah. Why oh why has this happened to me now?!?!?!?!?!?!

Then I realize something. Why would my mother be suggesting this program just out of the blue? Out of nowhere? Then I remember. My mother doesn't agree with my majoring in Public Relations, because she doesn't understand it. I love my mother to death, but if you are not majoring in something she agrees with or understands, she will NEVER agree with you while you are pursuing your degree. Now, when you are working for a big company and/or making some mullah, thhhhhhhhheeeeen she will agree with you. She doesn't understand what public relations is/does. It's ok. I love her, nevertheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home