Friday, February 04, 2005

A 'Desperate' Addiction

I am not the type of person who has any vices. I don't smoke, I don't have to drink, and I am not the type of girl that HAS to buy shoes whenever I go shopping. Hell, I don't even like to shop that much. Yes, I am an awkward breed of woman. But, nevertheless, I have found an addiction that even I cannot fight. It's a Sunday night addiction. It involves a 9pm appointment with ABC. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my addiction is in fact the soap opera that first aired in October, Desperate Housewives. How can you not like this show?!?!? In the very first episode, the tone is set by the narrator of the series, who commits suicide and proceeds to tell the story of her 4 friends from Wisteria Lane, Susan Mayer, Bree Van de Kamp, Lynette Scavo, and Gabrielle Solis. She also tells the stories of the neighborhood, including the promiscuous Edie Britt. Ahhhh.....this is the best show!!! From the surface, it appears to be a neighborhood that is quiet, calm, and all of its residents live perfect, happy lives. But underneath it all, it is a cauldron of lies and secrets that just surprise you every single episode.

But why am I so addicted to this show? Perhaps because it is the life that I know I will never live, and it feels good to wear someone else's Manolo Blahniks for an hour each Sunday. It feels good to imagine that I could be Susan, the single mom who is so desperate to find love, she will even search her own gossipy neighborhood for a beau. Or Bree, the obsessive compulsive perfectionist who poisons her husband with onions in his salad when she finds out he wants a divorce. Or maybe even Lynette, who finds an escape in her son's ADD medication. But most of all, without a doubt, I like to imagine I am Gabrielle, the beautiful former model with the perfect life who, no matter how many material things she has, still finds it necessary to have an affair with her 17 year-old gardener!!! God, I love this show!!! If you have never seen it, I suggest you tune in every Sunday. I know that this Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday, but it will be on at 10 pm. See ya on Wisteria Lane!!!



**Small side note: Season I of Desperate Housewives will be coming out on DVD after the season is over. Anybody care to buy it for me, leave me a comment ;)**



1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

HAHA!!! Bueno, para empesar, I like the show because it is entertaining and never fails to shock the hell out of me. For me, the show is not predictable at all, and that's the best thing. The things that people say, what they do, how they do it, it is just all so very interesting. As far as the beautiful women, esas mujers si son muy hermosa, but I'm not one to be intrigued to watch a show because of the appearance of anybody. Although, much of America is. How else could you explain the success of shows such as The Swan, Dr. 90210, The Biggest Loser, and Celebrity Fit. All of these viewers are attracted to people who are either TOO beautiful or TOO atrocious. Me, personally, I like a show that while it may have the looks, it first and foremost has the content. Thanks for commenting, Dolphin. Your comment especially made me laugh =) Click an ad at the bottom of my blog, why don't you. Help a needy cause =)=)=)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home