Tuesday, February 01, 2005

¡Cuba Libre! (A dedication to a man who is, in my opinion, the epitome of Miami)

While New York relishes in its Puerto Rican population, San Francisco in its Asian population, Texas in its Mexican population, and so on and so forth, Miami literally is the spitting image of what can be seen on the streets of Havana. The only difference(s) between Miami and Cuba is the fact that people can succeed and make a means to live, say what they want, and protest peacefully (although we all know us Cubans get very passionate about certain issues, so our peaceful is the rest of the country's chaos) But why is it that many who live outside of Miami (even some Cubans!) hold such a resentment towards the city because of their Cuban population? The answer is simple: the only people who know the truth about Castro's Cuba and aren't ashamed to tell you are that same Cuban population that resides within the county limits of the infamous Miami-Dade in South Florida. The distorted image that is given off that "Castro is not that bad" and that "the real ones to blame are the Miami Cubans" is given off by those who don't have stories to share regarding oppression they suffered in the communist country or those who have never been exposed to these heart wrenching tales. My cousin was a political prisoner in Cuba. Do these so-called humans who claim "Castro is not that bad" truly know the definition of a political prisoner? Basically, all of these Bush-bashers could be political prisoners....that is, if America was a communist country and Bush was the dictator. Could you imagine that? After the 2004 election, it is evident that just about half of the country could be political prisoners. My mother worked in sugar cane fields while she was pregnant with my brother in the early 70's so that she could be granted persmission to leave Cuba. And a few weeks after she gave birth, she returned to the fields to work in the scorching sun. But my mother's story is not the only one. Other's have more gruesome stories that perhaps involve violence, starvation, or even death. As a child of one of the sufferers who lived through one of those upsetting stories, do I not owe it to my mother to share her hating and "I spit on you" attitude towards the bearded devil? Would it not be a blow to the heart for my mother to have her youngest daughter come home and say, "Mami, I don't think Castro is that bad." Would it not be turning my back on everything that my parents have provided for us in this wonderful, free country? I, like my mother, share the exact same attitude that we will not visit Cuba until the bearded devil has burned. Why visit while he is still alive? To give my hard-earned money to him so that he may continue to oppress those poor prisoners, because in Cuba, althought they do not live behind bars, everyone is a prisoner in Cuba. I don't want to go too in depth with this post because I could literally type for days, but I did want to shed some light on this topic after being inspired by this particular article that appeared on the front page of my hometown's newspaper: http://www.babalublog.com/archives/001353.html (this site will redirect you to the article when you click on story)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:18 AM  
Blogger AmandaDufau said...

As niece of the subject of that article, sister of your roommate, and daughter of Cuban born parents and grandparents who had to live the torture that is Castro's Cuba, I salute you and thank you for such an eloquent post, from one Cuban-American to another.
There are many who simply spew hatred towards a person because of their own personal views, instead of having intelligent debate, and are therefore blinded because they don't want to see what is really out there just to prove that they are right. We must ignore those and continue to fight for a Free Cuba. Someday, we will all visit and bask in the beauty that is our home country.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Amanda, thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate it. After reading the article and reading the negative responses that www.babalublog.com was getting, I felt compelled to write something. I'm glad you read it, enjoyed it, and most of all understood it. I will visiting your blog later on as well as the "little man's" (I hear he is rather famous and utterly adorable). Take care!

9:42 AM  
Blogger K-2 said...

In my opinion, Castro is not that bad, is worst much worst than anybody can imagine. I have the tales from many cubans who had fled the island and it's incredible how they live there. It's sad that Cuba is still governed by a dinosaur. But like Charly Garcia sang in reference to the argentinian dicators: Los dinosaurios van desaparecer!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ladybug- Thank you for responding to this post. Your uncle truly touched me with not only his blog, but the way he handles all of the "uninformed nincompoops" that have left him such ignorant comments on his blog. He's truly an inspiration. Get me an autograph!!! =D

K-2 - Thank you for your comment. That is very true...los dinosarios si se van a desaparecer. Hopefully, this will happen sooner than we think! Once again, thank you for your kind words.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone needs to choke Castro to death, dip his body in sulfuric acid, and leave him in the desert for vultures to feed on!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The answer is simple: the only people who know the truth about Castro's Cuba and aren't ashamed to tell you are that same Cuban population that resides within the county limits of the infamous Miami-Dade in South Florida.

As a "sato" that has lived in the Diaspora for over 20 years, before returning to the holy land, Miami. Also know as north Habana.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Bty, Cuba libre is better known as"mentirita".

There are plenty of us that have lived outside of Miami, that have carried the torch.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, I am very aware that there are in fact many Cubans who DO NOT live in Miami that carry the torch just as high if not higher that the "Miami Cubans" (I really don't like term). I guess I simply worded it wrong. I didn't mean to offend you. I lived in Miami all of my life and recently moved up to DC, where I intend to continue carrying the torch with the flame blowing out of control. As far as Cuba Libre goes, while it may only be a figment of our imagination, isn't still the sweetest thing to think of and imagine? Thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog. I hope you read other entries I've made as well. While you're at it, scroll down, click an ad and search on the Google search engine =)

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home