Thursday, June 23, 2005

Absolutely no shame

With no reservations and with no taboo factor, I would like to let you all know something, and perhaps after reading this, you will feel the same way about yourself.

As a woman, I feel there to be no need to classify myself thin, fat, overweight, slender, or even petite. As a woman, I am proud of the body I have because I have come to look at it for the beauty and the gift that it holds. A woman's body is not breasts. It is not buttocks. It is not a tummy, whether flat or bulging. It is not a dimple here or a beauty mark there. A woman's body is a temple of strength, serenity, creation, and pride. Sometimes, we completely forget the true purpose and meaning of our bodies. Whether or not we care to have children, our body is able to do this. Our body is able to withhold the weight of another living being and provide a haven of warmth and nourishment for nine whole months. Our body is able to provide oxygen to a human being who is created and developed within the measurements that we so constantly obsess over. Yet our bodies are not simply meant for child bearing. Our bodies provide us with the strength we need to withhold all of the discrimination and prejudice that women endure. Our bodies provide us, well, some of us, with the ability to run away or perhaps even fight back when domestic abuse becomes a part of our daily ritual. Our bodies provide us with the desire to learn all we possibly can and use it to the best of our ability. Our bodies provide us with so much and yet we take it for granted.

I love my body. I love every little thing about my body. Sure, I have my imperfections, but what woman doesn't. A woman will never have the "perfect body" in her eyes. Something will always be too big, too little, too fat, too skinny, etc. etc. etc. The only person who could ever view a woman's body as perfect would be another woman or a man. But me, I love my body. I love the softness of my body and how, when my boyfriend hugs me, he feels warmth and not a sack of cold bones or tight muscles. I love how this curves out here and that curves out there. I love how I feel healthy and in my eyes, I'm beautiful. I love the way my body looks without clothes because that is how I am. No cover-ups, no make-up, no slimming black color, nothing. That is me. That is the realest I could ever possibly be.

I wish more women could come to terms with the fact that they are absolutely beautiful, no matter how thin, fat, overweight, slender, or even petite they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home